Now, those that have followed me for years know this name. You've heard it numerous times. But for those that have just started following, let me keep you up to date:
2/22/12 -- yes, 2012! Here is an excerpt from that blog post (if you want to read the entire post click on the date):
I had a mexican pinwheel feathered star (Marsha McCloskey pattern) that had been sitting around collecting dust. So I pulled it out -- this is what it looked like (actually is was extremely wrinkly so I gave it a real quick pressing):
Then I worked on it over the weekend, and now it looks like this (still wrinkly):
So when did I start this quilt?... I can not remember, but according to this post it was already collecting dust in 2012! OMG... seriously!
And then on 8/9/2012 I decided to add the little dots in the border. I also decided to use this project to partake in my guilds UFO challenge... hahaha... again, hahaha - history with this quilt has already proven that it can not be finished!
So fast forward almost a year to 6/6/13 - yes, I said a almost a year! This quilt has already missed multiple deadlines -- one being the World Quilt Show FL entry deadline of September 2012. And, as I already stated in the last paragraph, it also missed the UFO challenge deadline. And even with missed both those deadlines, I still managed to pull it out of the pile and *think* about quilt designs...
So on 8/13/13 I was doodling out some quilting designs -- one of which I really seem to like as I talked about transferring it to the quilt. Again... did not happen. Although I talk about this quilt wanting to be born, I think that was me wanting it to be finished. But no, this quilt was not ready!
Fast forward to 2/21/14 when I took yet another WIP Inventory (these help me to realize how much needs to be finished). I also again share how this quilt was named. Now this is what the quilt looked like then - somewhere along the line I added additional fabric for the border, which was a good idea, all that amazing quilting that was planned really needed a place to land!
And at this point I had to finish this quilt. I had committed it to a special exhibit at Quilt! Knit! Stitch! Did I finished? No, it's now the end of June and I'm still talking about it.... well sort of.
So back to THIS post. Last week I finally pulled this quilt out to mark up for quilting. I had to, there was absolutely no choice, it was getting quilted period! Then... out of no where this quilt started talking away. I had added four more dots to the quilt since the last picture (one on each outer point). When suddenly the quilt (or the voice in my head - I think they are the same sometimes) said NO! Put a diamond there! So me, being no dummy, listened and this happened:
It looked fantastic! Yay little voice!! Yay me for listening! So, listening some more, four more diamonds were added to the outer corners (sorry, forgot to snap that pic). I spent the evening doing some hand applique - 8 diamonds worth! And I continued marking the quilt for trapunto work Yes, I have to mark the quilt - the design is too precise and things need to line up. Also, the feathers I have planned are mirror-imaged. I don't know about you, but I am not precise enough to mirror image anything to perfection, kinda, but not perfect.
Well guess what happens... I discover that I need 4 more diamonds to make this quilt happy. So I add them -- they looked like this:
See how the quilting design totally needed a diamond there?!! Sometimes your quilt isn't finish until AFTER the quilting design is planned out.
So in the middle of all this amazing quilt design I received an awesome phone call! My new Gammill Vision 2 was being shipped out! WooooooHooooooo! It is scheduled for delivery on Monday! What awesomeness -- the trapunto part of this quilt would be the very last thing stitched on my Vision. And the very first thing (well other than a test sample) to be stitched on the new Vision 2 -- that kinda makes this quilt even more special!! Awesomeness overload!
With all this fun news racing around my mind I was determined to finish marking this quilt and start the trapunto work asap! So here it is all marked up:
I've already received numerous inquiries on what I used to mark the quilt. I used a water soluble white pen, available from Blue Line Eraser. It's not quite as water soluble as a blue one, I tested it on this black batik and it indeed needed a soaking before coming out. No worries, this quilt will need a good soaking anyway as there is water soluble thread holding all the trapunto together.
So, this is what Friday looked like:
And this is what today looks like:
I can not wait to finish the quilting on this! It just goes to show you - a quilt will not be finished until it is ready!
Oh, and if you're wondering about yesterday -- it looked like this:
Old dishwasher (no, not OLD, just broken) coming out and new dishwasher going in. Please, don't mind the messy kitchen!