Saturday, May 30, 2015

The Pelicans

I took this photo a few years ago.

knew immediately that It would one day be a quilt. I wanted to make it entirely of silk -- that was my mission last year at Houston, to purchase the silks I would need. 

So, a few too many dollars later here's what I had (and yes, I'm a little worried that I don't have enough blue-greens for the water, fingers crossed). 

Last night I finally created the master pattern from which the quilt would be based -- I used blockposters.com, which, to me is the easiest way to go as the printer isn't open at 11:00 pm. You just can't guarantee when creativity is going to hit. The drawing is approximately 52x29 -- not quite long enough for what I want so I'll be extending the concrete and dock a few more inches as well as possibly the background water. 

So here's the master pattern, which is essentially a line drawing to be used for placement. 

Thankfully, my ink lasted until the very last page - that was close!

Today will be full of pre-washing my silks to (hopefully) prevent any bleeding later. And then on to pressing with lots and lots of steam - the double check for any more bleeding.

I've given myself a deadline of 10/1/2015 for this one - not much time, I know!  I hope you'll follow along this quilts journey with me.  


3 comments:

  1. Excited to follow the process❗️šŸ˜ƒ

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks a fabulous project. I will certainly be following your techniques and can't wait to see how you quilt this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Florida with lots of Pelicans and love your photo! Can't wait to follow your process and love that you are using silks.

    ReplyDelete